Choosing to rent a mobile home is not too different from renting an apartment or a single-detached house. It is best to venture into the transaction with a clear picture of what you want and what you are willing to pay for.
However, there are a few considerations that you have to think about before committing to a lease on a mobile home. If you are currently in the process of choosing a mobile home to rent and are looking for first-time home renter tips, then you have come to the right place.
Renting an apartment versus renting a mobile home
Renting a mobile isn’t all that different from living in an apartment complex. However, there are advantages to choosing to go the mobile home route:
- More affordable The affordability of mobile homes is probably the number one reason people choose to rent mobile homes instead of apartments. This real estate route is a great option for those who are looking to maximize their savings or for those who prefer to live alone but can’t necessarily afford the cost of forgoing roommates. Renting a mobile home is a safe and empowering option that can give your household a better grasp of your finances.
- Friendlier to pets It can be difficult to find an apartment complex that allows pets. In fact, according to a recent study, less than 10% of rental properties allow animals to reside in their units. Choosing to rent a mobile home means that you don’t have to give up your beloved pet nor do you have to sacrifice their happiness in an enclosed space.
- Best for downsizing Minimalism has been all the rage in the last few years. At present, people are trying to be more mindful about their consumption and are more willing to live in a smaller space in order to minimize their carbon footprint. If you are interested in living the tiny home life, renting a mobile home is a great start to this journey. It is a practical way to test the waters and check if the tiny home lifestyle is the right fit for you and your family.
- Offers flexible options In renting a mobile home you have three general options:
- Renting on private property
- Renting the mobile home and the corresponding lot from a mobile community
- Renting a home from a mobile homeowner and renting the lot from the mobile community
The best option for you and your household depends on the circumstances that you are in. If you are completely new to mobile home living, it might be best to rent the mobile home and the lot from a community. Likewise, if you already have connections, the other two options might prove to be more cost-efficient.
How to choose the right mobile home
Nevertheless, there are three factors to consider when it comes to choosing a mobile home that is right for your current needs:
Mobile homes are smaller than your average property. However, there are larger options that you could choose from. Especially if you are moving with your household, it is best to consider bigger mobile homes with a view to everyone’s comfort. That said, larger mobile homes are more expensive. The size of the mobile you intend to rent is often the number one factor that affects its price tag. Best to be prepared.
As with any real estate property, the location of the mobile home community can affect rent. The more desirable the location, the heftier the price tag. If you are looking into communities that are near city centers, you should expect to pay higher rent.
Mobile homes are a popular housing option for those who are on holiday. As such, mobile home rental costs are more expensive during the peak season. If you are looking to rent a mobile home for a few months and well into the summer season, it is ideal to start the search and secure a contract during winter to avoid peak prices.
In the last few years, renting mobile homes has become more mainstream. Depending on your lifestyle, this real estate option can be a permanent solution to your specific needs. For more articles about mobile home living as well as a mobile home buying guide, feel free to browse our website.
If you’d like to check out your mobile home options in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, and South Carolina, contact us at Sundance Property Management. We have been in the business of acquiring and managing investment properties like apartments and mobile homes since 1993.